Adapting to the new normal of outsourced manufacturing, without losing key insight.
Over the last decade, pharmaceutical companies have relied increasingly on contract partners for the manufacturing and packaging of their products, with many outsourcing at least 50% of the work. When manufacturing is handled internally, pharma companies have high visibility into the status of different batches of all their products, which is critical for production management and reporting. With third parties now storing and maintaining so much of the product they own, they face a significant challenge: how can they efficiently manage external manufacturing partners as tightly as they manage their own internal sites?
To address this issue, companies have relied on spreadsheets sent via from CMOs via email, with data that then needs to be reconciled and manually entered into ERPs by pharma company staff - and then is quickly out of date. Or, they’ve established point-to-point electronic connections, but those come with a high dollar and resource cost, and aren’t scalable for companies with more than a few CMOs.
Streamlining Communication Through a Network Approach
Supply Chain Collaboration - a suite of applications that governs business functions including inventory, production tracking, delivery tracking, and quality –enables pharma companies to manage their CMOs as an extension of their team, ensuring the same level of visibility, control and performance across external manufacturing operations that they have over internal production processes. TraceLink's network platform and integrated suite of applications helps companies:
- Establish an accurate external supply dashboard providing at-a-glance and detailed production status across all external manufacturing relationships.
- Ensure end-to-end visibility and collaboration across the production life cycle from order initiation to final product delivery.
- Monitor inventory balances and raw material components at manufacturing partners to improve production planning and enhance responsiveness to unexpected supply issues.
- Create a shared quality management workspace between internal quality teams and your external manufacturing partners to improve performance and standardize processes across the quality review cycle.
- Track API and bulk material orders for production to ensure on-time production start and improve resource utilization at external manufacturing sites.
- Track and review KPIs with external manufacturing partners for performance scorecarding and continuous improvement programs.
- Communicate key information in whatever format each party wants, with translation provided by the TraceLink Life Sciences Cloud
Supply Chain Collaboration takes collaboration out of email, eliminates time-consuming manual tasks, and provides flexibility and transparency to everyone involved in the production process. It meets the needs of today's supply chain, enabling pharma companies to work with contract partners without sacrificing efficiencies, production time, or - most importantly - product quality.