Serialization Impacts Warehouse Distribution and Requires New Technologies
As supply chain companies prepare for serialization, serial number and line management systems are typically top-of-mind, while the impact on warehouse activities is often overlooked. In a serialized world, managing warehouse operations – including receiving returns, pick, pack, ship, and rework – becomes much more complex. Managing warehouse flow with paper and manual systems will no longer be an option.
Many wholesale distributors are setting expectations with pharmaceutical manufacturers that serialized product at the item-level must be aggregated to parent containers. These expectations create complex inventory tracking and management challenges that increase the risk of operational delays in the warehouse. For instance, a case of aggregated product that is damaged can no longer just be set aside. In order to maintain both compliance and warehouse efficiencies, companies will need scanning technology in place to accurately capture changes to aggregation hierarchies and send those updates back to the serialization system of record.
Choosing an End-to-End Platform for Visibility at the "Edge"
TraceLink offers pharmaceutical companies, distributors, 3PLs, and healthcare organizations the only end-to-end platform that enables life sciences companies to capture, process and exchange serialized product data across a digital supply chain network and also more effectively manage warehouse product inventory at the “edge” of the supply chain.
With the industry’s leading serialization software for handheld scanners and mobile devices, Edge Track, capabilities offered include:
- Operational integration—across serial number management, EPCIS repository, WMS and master data at scale;
- Inference-driven receiving—with configurable audit parameters and optional put away;
- Serialized container management—for aggregation / de-aggregation and other re-work;
- Pick, and pick/pack scenario support—with picking confirmation integration with WMS;
- Shipment and Shipment Verification—with optional integration to ERP/WMS;
- ERP/WMS integration—single integration for all modules and functions;
- Comprehensive product support—for serialized and non-serialized products; and,
- Integrated solution for the healthcare and pharmacy community—which streamlines the process of receiving serialized products and data associated with them.