Preparing for DSCSA Saleable Returns Verification
A challenge for wholesalers and manufacturers alike
Two approaches to verification
- Self-verify: Receive and store data from the manufacturer when a product is shipped, and refer to that data to verify a saleable return. With aggregation in place, the pallet or case can be scanned to accomplish this. If
productis not aggregated, however, every saleable unit would need to be scanned in order to collect the necessary data.
- Verification Router Service (VRS): Use an automated service that looks up the required information in a manufacturer’s product database.
The advantages of Verification Router Services
DSCSA requires that manufacturers respond to requests for saleable return verifications within one business day. However, most wholesale distributors will expect near real-time response to their requests in order to keep warehouse operations running smoothly.
Verification Routing Services play a critical role in allowing wholesalers and manufacturers to meet both the DSCSA requirement and trade partner
- Lookup Directory: Operates as a phone book of GTINS, linking to the responding system where a GTIN can be verified. Lookup Directories are synchronized across VRS systems.
- Request management: Handles a request initiated and submitted by a wholesale distributor to verify the four required data components.
- Response management: Handles a response with the results of the verification.
What to look for in a VRS
- Was the Verification Routing Service created based on open interoperable standards?
- Is the VRS accessible by your direct and indirect partners?
- Can the VRS provide sub-second responses to verification requests?
- Are there secure methods to control access to serialization data for verification requests?
- Does the VRS support additional messaging to indicate that a valid serial number has been withdrawn or recalled?
- Does the VRS provide reporting and analytics on the verification data?
- Can the VRS be extended to business use cases such as secure distribution or patient engagement?
Solving verification with Product Information Manager
Automating the saleable returns verification process depends on the ability for partners to manage and share information on a secure, scalable platform. TraceLink’s Product Information Manager delivers master data sharing, verification routing
A network application, Product Information Manager leverages interoperable industry standards and is built on top of TraceLink’s industry-leading digital information-sharing platform.